We offer graduate work leading to the Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees. To be considered for the fall semester all material should be on file in the department by January 15, 2021.
Students will be admitted to graduate study on the basis of their potential for achievement in research, scholarship, and teaching. The most promising applicants will be accepted. Since the number of students that the department can successfully accommodate is limited, it will not always be possible to admit all qualified applicants. The admissions committee will consider any material that a candidate for admission wishes to present.
Students with bachelor degrees should apply for admittance to the Master’s program even if their ultimate goal is a Ph.D. Students who earn their M.A. in psychology at New Mexico State University will be considered for admission to the doctoral program after completing the M.A.; a formal reapplication is not necessary.
Students with a Masters in psychology from another institution may apply directly to the Ph.D. program. Admission is conditional upon completion of a qualifying exam, typically an oral presentation of the student’s masters thesis.
The minimum application consists of the following seven elements:
1. A completed Graduate School admission application
2. Complete transcripts of all college work (minimum 3.0 GPA)
3. Scores on the Graduate Record Exam General. Scores on the GRE Psychology test are not required.
NOTE. Fall 2021 Applicants: Whether for MA or PhD, applications for Fall 2021 admission do NOT require either the GRE or the GRE Psychology subject test.
4. Three letters of recommendation from professors, employers, or others qualified to evaluate your potential for graduate work (Uploaded through online application system).
5. An essay explaining your research interests and experience, career goals, and an indication of the faculty members whose work is of particular interest to you (Uploaded through online application system).
6. A curriculum vitae or resume.
7. A sample of your writing (e.g., a paper you wrote for a course, a senior thesis or a master’s thesis uploaded through application process). Ideally, the sample should demonstrate your ability to write clearly about psychological research.
International student applicants must contact the International Students and Scholars Services (ISSS) for the application procedure for non-U.S. citizens.